For our wedding, I wanted chalkboards in various sizes and shapes. It turns out, finding them at affordable prices was nearly impossible, so we set out to make our own. We needed:
- Chalkboard paint (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Black-Chalkboard-Paint/17210982)
- Wooden materials you want made into chalkboard (I purchased the boards from Joann’s, and the picnic basket from Goodwill- Joann’s has a ton of wooden stuff, and you can use 50% off coupons, or go when they’re 60% off, etc. and get great deals)
- A piece of chalk
- Colored paint and brush, if you want to add borders, etc. as pictured
- Optional addition: easels (also purchased at Joann’s on sale)
I don’t have step by step photos, but the process is pretty simple:
1. Sand down the board
2. Tape any areas off with painters tape that you don’t want chalk board
3. Spray with chalk board paint! It may take a few layers- let each dry in between.
4. Paint the other areas, as desired.
5. Once completely dry, “Prime” the chalkboard if you want to, by covering it in chalk, and then washing it off. I primed a couple of mine, but I didn’t like the chalk residue that can be left. Since I only planned to use the chalkboards for the wedding, I stopped priming them, so they’d look perfectly clean, and just wrote on them the message they would have for the wedding day.